Raised in Los Angeles, I realized that when it was time for me to choose a college, I couldn't resist the blue and gold of UCLA. Consequently, after spending both my undergraduate and graduate years as a loyal Bruin, I received -- as a parting gift -- my MFA and BA degrees.
A few years ago I moved from the West to the East, and am currently residing in woodsy, historic Richmond, VA. It's a lovely place ... if only I could get used to the fact that the nearest ocean is no longer to my left.
At current count, my 1,200 published articles and columns encompass politics, women's issues, film, sports, travel and tourism, pop culture, humor, dating and dogs (though it's funny, dogs seldom date). Unlike Groucho Marx's sentiment, "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member," I'm a proud member of the Authors Guild, American Society of Journalists and Authors (ASJA) and Online Film Critics Society.
My film reviews have been quoted by The New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Time, Today.com, The Daily Beast and The Huffington Post. Additionally, my political commentary for womensnews.org has been picked up by the international truth-out.org on several occasions.
MY CAREER ODYSSEY
After walking down a few different career paths, I ultimately chose the road leading to the multifarious world of writing. Once I'd wandered a bit hither and a tad yon, I concluded that I derived the most satisfaction from the "quick hit" ... i.e., I would write an article and shortly thereafter, it would appear in print. Just like magic.
The following encapsulates my path so far:
- As a freelance writer, I've been published in such outlets as The Boston Globe, Salon.com, The McClatchy Company, The Oregonian, Fodor's, PopMatters, The Advocate, Women's eNews and The Forward
- As a film critic, I've written movie reviews for international, national and local newspapers and outlets. Prior columns include: a syndicated column recommending "golden oldie" movies for seniors; bi-annual previews for parenting magazines; and a monthly feature examining similarly themed movies. My last 500 film reviews can be found on my Rotten Tomatoes' critic page
- As a film journalist, I've reported from the Cannes, Sundance and Tribeca film festivals
- As a web content provider, I've analyzed, developed strategy and created content for multiple companies
- As a script and manuscript consultant, I've helped writers focus on such necessary components as story, character, pace, tension and dialogue